Calendar, By Chaim Heller, Head of School
We review the annual SDJA school calendar several times a year, making sure it meets our requirements of 180 days in which school is in session and is also parent-friendly. After our most recent review this week, I want to share some changes that will take effect for the 2016-2017 school year.
• First day of school will be Monday, August 22nd. We usually open mid-week but we think this is more family friendly.
• We will be off the entire week of Thanksgiving, from November 21 to November 25. This has been the most poorly attended week of school for 4 years running.
• Winter break begins on December 19 and we return to school on January 4. We use the first day after break for security training of all staff and faculty and January 2nd is a national holiday.
• We will have a full two weeks break for the Passover holiday, from April 10 to 21.
• Now for the tricky one: We will be closed on Memorial Day Monday, May 29, open on Tuesday May 30, closed on Wednesday and Thursday of that week for the Shavuot holiday and open again on that Friday, June 2. We believe this will provide families with at least two days of school that week, and with the school year ending only a few weeks later, we don’t expect many families to take a 5-day vacation that week.
• We will not have half days of school. We will continue the successful scheduling of this year and have full days only.
Lastly, we have developed a new look for our calendar, suitable for putting on your refrigerator. You can access it here.