Our curriculum emphasizes the importance of the development of the whole child: socially, emotionally, cognitively, physically, and spiritually.
- We provide a loving, caring, and nurturing learning environment within a framework rich in Jewish values and traditions.
- Learning activities are purposefully planned by our qualified staff to match the developmental stages of each child. The staff emphasizes the learning process taking place rather than the end product.
- We offer a variety of learning opportunities for each child encouraging imagination, curiosity, and discovery.
- The “Multiple Intelligences” approach is incorporated into the curriculum encompassing Language Arts, Math, Science, Music and Movement, and Imaginative and Creative play.
- We maintain a balance…
…between individual and group activities, emphasizing positive social interaction.
…between structured and “free choice” time, guided and modeled by the staff.
…between a structured schedule and flexibility that allows opportunities for self exploration and respect.
- An academic component is integrated into the curriculum through music, games, songs, manipulatives, and enriching and stimulating activities.
- Jewish Holidays and Shabbat are important parts of our curriculum and woven into our daily and weekly activities. We celebrate together as a school through cooking, music, special guests, parent involvement, community events, and school-wide events (Preschool – High School).
Integrating Jewish Values In The Classroom
- Jewish values and traditions are a part of our classroom identity and environment. They are an intricate part of our community and culture, and help provide the foundation for the development of values.
- Typical lessons in SDJA preschool classrooms that foster the creation of Jewish values:
- Celebrating Shabbat, making latkes for Chanukah, building a Sukkah, learning Jewish songs, learning about Israel (its geography, people, history) and much more.
Transition Into Kindergarten
- By working closely with the kindergarten teachers at the Golda Meir Lower School, our preschool teachers will be fostering essential knowledge to ensure a seamless transition from preschool to kindergarten and beyond. The familiarity and comfort of SDJA’s setting will help young students transition easily into the next phase of learning.