Busy Times, By Chaim Heller, Head of School
With so much going on at school and in our world, we want to alert you to programs coming up that you will want to know about, and participate in.
- We are hosting Grandparents and Special Friends tomorrow, Friday morning. We hope to see many of you here for our special activities and programming.
- Monday morning at 8:00 am our upper school students will be leading and participating in a special program: a vigil to support the strength and courage of Israel in the face of terror attacks targeting Jews throughout the country. Come and join us in the Ulam.
- On Tuesday afternoon at 1:30 pm we will have a presentation by Mark Mero of “Champions of Choice,” an anti-bullying non-profit. This hour-long show is a must see for 5th graders and up, and their parents. Google the name and then join us.
- We are hosting the San Diego challah bake next Thursday evening at 6:30 pm. Register here, make your challah for Shabbat, and join in Shabbat San Diego. The Havdalah program Saturday night will be truly spectacular, with David D’or. Check him out on iTunes, and then register here.
- On Wednesday October 28 at 6:00 pm, SDJA is co-sponsoring “Nostra Aetate”, and evening of Catholic-Jewish dialogue and conversation. Information available here. Join us.
- On Saturday evening, October 31st, SDJA and Chabad Carmel Valley are co-sponsoring a talk by Neil Lazarus on the current situation in Israel. This promises to be a highly enlightening evening.
- Beginning November 22nd, SDJA will open a course for high school students and any adults interested. The course will be about the “modern tribes of Israel,” from the Hartman Institute in Israel, and will be taught and led by Dr. Ray Fink. Students participating will receive honors credits and parents participating will learn quite a bit. I myself participated in the Hartman program this summer, and I’ll be attending every session to learn along with everyone else. The dates will be mostly on Sunday mornings, from 9:00 am to noon. They are: 11/22, 12/6, 1/10, 2/14, 3/20, 4/17, 5/8.
- The first day of school next year will be Monday, August 22nd. More details about the calendar in the upcoming Kolot.