International Student Admissions
San Diego Jewish Academy High School welcomes international students from around the world to enjoy the benefits of an excellent independent school education. Our international program benefits all of our students, enhancing their global perspective and deepening their understanding of linguistic, cultural, and ethnic diversity.
We issue a limited number of I-20’s to college preparatory, diploma-seeking students after admission to SDJA.
San Diego Jewish Academy seeks international students who are:
- Academically motivated and successful
- Emotionally and socially mature
- Ready for full immersion classes taught in English; can demonstrate fluency in speaking, writing, and reading
- Active in advocating for their learning (will reach out to teachers when struggling in class, attend help sessions, and talk to their advisor)
- Curious, respectful, and appreciative of American and Jewish cultures
- Interested in being an active member of the SDJA community in curricular and extracurricular activities
- Open to trying new things that may be different from cultural norms
- Eager and committed to building American friendships
- Willing to share their own culture with the SDJA community
- Able to handle and overcome setbacks and challenges
- Interested in staying connected with SDJA after graduation
- In a guardianship relationship in which there is an exchange of communication of well-being of international students, guardian must act in loco parentis.
Applicants must complete an online application, as well as submit official academic records, teacher recommendations and student application. Students are accepted based on the materials above, as well as a SKYPE interview.
Students must also demonstrate English proficiency in their interview, written application, and through TOEFL test scores (designation code: 5138) or iTEP SLATE scores.
International Student Support
SDJA provides multiple means of support to encourage student success at SDJA.
In addition to the Fall Orientation program (see below), students enroll in the International Immersion Program (IIP), in which they are paired with SDJA students for conversation, culture, community, and connections. IIP meets once during the school week, in addition to Sunday outings to area destinations.
International students are also enrolled in an advisory program and meet with their advisor several times throughout the week. The program is staffed by a faculty member who specializes in instruction for students learning English as a second language. The advisor monitors academic progress and helps students with individual challenges.
Additional programming is developed throughout the year to meet students’ needs. The school also provides a college counselor who works with each student individually.
All new international students participate in an orientation process before school begins to help them acclimate to SDJA. The program includes some English language instruction, as well as exposure and orientation to Jewish practice, culture, and history. Students also are given an overview of SDJA programs and student life, including student culture, academics, athletics, arts, and clubs. During orientation, students take math and language assessments, tour the school, and receive assistance with various items as they prepare for the first day of school.
International Tuition and Fees
Application Fee: $200
The tuition for international students for the 2017-18 Academic Year is: $30,560.
* Travel expenses, medical insurance, school lunch, computer, club/sports fees, and books are not included in the cost of tuition. Additional expenses and fees may be incurred during the course of the year. These might include instructional materials and school supplies, PSAT, SAT, ACT, AP or other testing fees. Personal items and daily expenses are up to individual students.
To learn more about San Diego Jewish Academy, please contact our admissions department at (858) 704-3717 or email@example.com or click here to fill out an online inquiry.